3W1 Project

Welcome Forums Your work 3W1 Project

This topic contains 40 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sooner 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Author

scudie
    Participant

Have just seen Sooners photo with the conversion components cleverly hidden out of site. It is all starting to make sense.

No drawing pictures of boxes, no saw dust and glue fumes.

No problems with access when changing sd card, or adjusting the volume.

No problems with components overheating plenty of air to circulate plus the back of the 3w1 will act as a heat sink.

Infact the only negative I can think of is the length of screws required to facilitate fastening it to the wall.

Sooner
    Participant

Haha…  That one isn’t my box.  I saw it on eBay.  Not a bad idea if you keep it on a counter and don’t try to mount it to a wall.

scudie
    Participant

I had  kind of guessed that it wasn’t one of yours ,  after seeing the quality in the  photos of your SC1 and the box you have made for your  3W1.

I grabbed a couple of hours yesterday and managed to get all the components into my box. Connected them all together,  haven’t had time to test it yet,  will now concentrate  on disguising the box & making it easy on the eye.

Cheers Scudie

scudie
    Participant

Still working on the box when I get a minute, I  have most of the parts now cut to size & have started to assemble (loosely) the cover for the box, this will hopefully disguise it.

The page return springs that I had ordered from Jukebox revival in Holland, for the 3w1 have arrived so hope to get those fitted soon.

crazy thing I can buy the springs here in the uk but with VAT and postage it’s cheaper to get them sent from Holland!

Cheers Scudie

Sooner
    Participant

I stained and clear coated my accessory box  and while it looked great it just didn’t do well with the wall box. I tried some cheap “chrome” vinyl wrap but it looked more like tin foil than chrome. So I decided to go with the Cheap Trick look to go with the Brian Setzer volume knob. Also added some 1.75″ speakers that I had to retrofit and make some custom grills. So far so good. The edges are a little rough on the checks are a little rough probvably because I used regular masking tape instead of painters tape. Lesson learned.  Still need to put the clear coat on and I have some white speaker grill cloth coming which I plan to try and paint black checks on to match the box.  I tried painting the black cloth with white checks but that didn’t work too well. Also have replacement emulators on the way. Fingers crossed these work correctly…

scudie
    Participant

Hi Steve

Black  and white checks very 1960’s, That must of took an age masking that lot out. Am not sure if I would have the patience for that, it’s a credit to you.

I guess the dice is the volume knob?  How  do those speakers perform ?  Any better or worse than the 50 year old ones in the SC1?

Hope to get the 3w1 connected to the new box tomorrow night, fingers crossed all is good.

cheers Scudie

Sooner
    Participant

The checks weren’t that hard. Just masked off horizontal and vertical stripes and painted. Then moved the stripes over and painted again.  Glad I decided to use 1/2″ stripes instead of 1/4″…

Yes the dice is the volume knob. Hard to tell exactly how these speakers compare to those in SCs since I don’t have an emulator to test them with for now. I hooked them up to my home stereo though and they seem to sound similar. They seem to be less efficient that the SC speakers so not quite as loud. That’s not necessarily a bad thing since the wallbox2mp3 emulator sounds better when it’s near the max volume.

Will you be using an wallbox2mp3 emulator recently purchased? I’m expecting mine to arrive next week. Fingers crossed that they work properly…

scudie
    Participant

Hi Steve

Have not purchased anything recently I have been holding off buying any further units while Fabien sorted the audio problem, in the  box I have been working on I have used the last one I have probably had it a year or so.

Yes fingers crossed that your new ones work with no issues and you get the correct psu with them. After he had the problem with the optocoupler he told me he had bought a couple of wallbox’s so he could test each emulator before being dispatched seems odd that your two got passed as OK when / if they were tested.

Cheers Scudie

Sooner
    Participant

Actually 3 emulators were bad. They sent me one free since I had purchased several before. And the bad PSU was really strange…

scudie
    Participant

Even stranger that you should get 3 faulty ones when apparently they are indervidually tested befor being dispatched.

You have to ask yourself how this is possible?

Cheers Scudie

scudie
    Participant

Just made a lead up and connected the 3w1 up to the box I have been working on.

All appears to be normal so far👍

Cheers Scudie

Sooner
    Participant

I don’t think they tested these before sending out.  Hopefully they tested the replacement emulators and PSUs before sending them out…

Here’s a quick demo of my new mini jukebox for my 3W1. I put separate switches for the wallbox and emulator so I can use the wallbox as a nightlight without running the emulator. The SD card is accessible though the back which makes it easy to change and also saved a bunch of space inside the box. Here it’s using a Bluetooth adapter to power my drive in speakers. The speaker output is defective on this emulator so I’m waiting on the replacement to arrive so I can use the internal speakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE4_r8bAChE

Sooner
    Participant

Good news! I received my replacement emulators yesterday and they all work okay.

I also changed the speaker grill to black and white checked to match the cabinet. 🙂

Klaatu

No humm or parasite in speakers ? You are using amp from wallbox2mp3 card ?

Sooner
    Participant

There’s a very low level buzzing that I can only hear at very low volume. Similar to my other emulators but not really a problem.

scudie
    Participant

How do they behave when the reject button is pressed?

Have you tried them with the random music configured on the SD card?

With the volume set at a normal level do you hear a  buzzing  through the speakers in between tracks being played ?

Cheers Scudie

Sooner
    Participant

The reject button works most of the time without random play. Only problem I notice is if a second selection is made before the first selection starts playing it tends to cancel more than one. With constant random play the reject button is pretty hit and miss (mostly miss). It also substitutes some selected songs with random ones. I haven’t tried it with random play at 30 seconds, or 5 & 15 minutes. My guess is it will work better on those settings, particularly at 15 minutes when it’s not trying to play random songs between selections.

No buzzing between songs with volume at normal levels.

scudie
    Participant

Good to here you have no buzzing sound , I think we all agree that certain features of the system could and should be improved.

Cheers Scudie

Sooner
    Participant

Yes. Another odd thing I’ve noticed is that the auxiliary output is really more of a headphone level output. It’s much higher than a line output would be. The level is also controled by the volume pot so you can’t turn the speaker volume to zero and use the headphone output with a Bluetooth transmitter without hearing both sets of speakers and the delay effect of the Bluetooth. Would be better IMO if it was a true line output with constant volume level.

scudie
    Participant

My Pal Andy who has taken a look at the audio circuitry of the emulator said something similar in his email can’t remember exactly what it was that he said.

If I still have his email I could forward to you if you are interested in reading his comments /recommendations ? If I had your email address.

Cheers Scudie

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.