D I Y Drive in Speakers

Welcome Forums Your work D I Y Drive in Speakers

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  scudie 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

scudie
    Participant

Recently acquired a couple of car stereo speakers, by the look of them I would assume that they are from the late 70’s possibly early 80’s. I am guessing that they were meant to be fitted as accessory speakers to the rear parcel shelf of a car, that probably didn’t have either a radio or speakers.

Any way as they appear to be made of aluminium, an idea popped into my head, after seeing Sooners post’s of his Drive in speakers  I thought strip the speakers strip the paint and polish them up. I have a length of stainless tube from an old patio heater  that will do as a post, so all I have to do is find something to go on top of the tube to form a housing / lamp some how connect all the parts together hey presto diy drive in speaker set.

Busy doing other things at the moment but it’s a definitely maybe one day.Cheers Scudie

Sooner
    Participant

Aluminum will polish nicely. Not sure about the grills. You may need to paint them.

scudie
    Participant

Have stripped one of the speakers, & started to remove the paint. Paint stripper had no affect nor did brake fluid, so ended up sanding it off.

was thinking of having a go at making some replacement speaker grills from sheet aluminium & cutting slots in it. ?

Sooner
    Participant

Or drill holes in it?

Klaatu

Slots, but make a nice design, not only straight slots of same length.

scudie
    Participant

Will give the design some thought may be a deco inspired design.

Cheers Scudie

scudie
    Participant

Have had a little time to look at those speaker units, decided to make a replacement for the mesh, so far I have cut a couple of pieces of 8mm aluminium to match the shape of the speaker body.

Will now give the design of the speaker grill some thought.

Cheers  Scudie

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.