DEC2MP3

Tagged: ,

Viewing 49 reply threads
  • Author
      Styrofoam17
      Participant

Hello,

I have a Seeburg DEC wallbox and I bought the DEC2MP3 kit 2-3 years ago. I have received no support or help with installing this kit. I have tried over the years using this forum, but it is usually just filled with spam. If anyone has this kit installed or can help it would be really appreciated. I’m tired of watching it collect dust

thanks.

Hirr

Klaatu
      Keymaster

Hello,

I don’t know the DEC Wallbox, but could try to help you. What is your problem ? Please explain.

I have installed Wallbox2MP3 or PACKARD2MP3. So maybe I try to solve your problem… if this is just installation problem.

What have you done so far ?

Styrofoam17
      Participant

Whoa, someone responded!

I have no clue how to start…

How do I shove all that into here?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Styrofoam17.
      Styrofoam17
      Participant

I have removed the middle panel

Do all these wires stay? the instructions doesn’t show any of them?

Klaatu
      Keymaster

If you want to hide everything inside, you’ll have to remove the coin mech.

And find a way to put it in Free play or adding a switch that will simulate a coin by actioning the latche.

Klaatu
      Keymaster

Leave all the existing wires.

FISRT  : plug your transformer to BLK and WHT on the middle strip in the middle

See : http://www.wallbox2mp3.com/soft/user_manual_seeburg_dec_dec2mp3_en.pdf

And check if the Consolette is working.

Klaatu
      Keymaster

Can’t see on your photo the “DEC2MP3 Translator” do you have it ?

Styrofoam17
      Participant

Yes I have it

and thank you for taking the time.

Klaatu
      Keymaster

No problem, I like to help when I can.

So now you need to find GROUND wire on your transformer. Should be labeled on transfo or box.
      Plug it to BLK, should be first on top of terminal board.
      Second wire from transfo to WHT on terminal board.

Now check if consolette is working.

Klaatu
      Keymaster

Looks like you have everything to complete this project if consolette is working.

You even have the colored wires that goes between “terminal board” and “DEC2MP3 Translator”.

Klaatu
      Keymaster

Don’t know your skills, so tell me how to help you then.

Follow color scheme of PDF files and your good.

For speakers, connect them directly to wallbox2mp3 card, unless you have the wiring scheme of the DEC consolette to check where to plug it to able to use front buttons.

Styrofoam17
      Participant

I wont be able to work on this until the weekend because of Valentines day.
      Do you have Discord or line somewhere easier to chat on?

Styrofoam17
      Participant

Discord: Styrofoam04#9226

Klaatu
      Keymaster

Don’t know what is Discord, I’m “old school” 😉

Let’s continue here, it could help futures users.

Styrofoam17
      Participant

No problem.

Styrofoam17
      Participant

I connected the Black and white to the cord. on the other end of the Transformer i have a yellow and blue wire? Do i have the right transformer? (Canada 120V)

Styrofoam17
      Participant

Here’s a close up of the Terminal board… There alot of stuff connected to it. do i keep them or remove them? I would love all the buttons and selection to work.

Klaatu
      Keymaster

From what I can see on transfo scheme :

BLK & WHT are for 120v
      Blue for 24v –> WHT terminal 24VAC
      Yellow for 0V –> BLK terminal Ground

Klaatu
      Keymaster

Do not remove any original wires. Just add the new for both cards to communicate.

Klaatu
      Keymaster

If there is no trouble with the wallbox, all buttons should works for selections.

But for sounds, you’ll have to find a scheme or trace wire to find where it goes…

Styrofoam17
      Participant
      Klaatu
      Keymaster

Wiring isn’t clearly detailed, but maybe we can find an idea with page 13 and “volume control assembly”.

But 1st you need to power the wallbox, check if it works. Them put the 2 boards and use direct speakers, and then we’ll try to find for volume buttons.
      Main problem is getting two different ground for speakers to use with the wallbox2mp3.

Take photos of what you’ve done and observe 😉

Styrofoam17
      Participant

So i plugged everything in

Styrofoam17
      Participant

Nothing works!

Styrofoam17
      Participant

The dec2mp3 stuff lights up.

But i get nothing from the box itself

Klaatu
      Keymaster

When you only powered the DEC wallbox with 24v, did you insert and coin and see any reaction ?
      You first need to be sure your DEC wallbox is working.

Looks like you did (because adapter show a bright led) but I need to ask a dumb question. Did you strip each end of the wires ? I’m asking that because I discovered some people don’t know. At “light store”, I had to explain it to a customer…

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Klaatu.
      Klaatu
      Keymaster

Did you build the SD card using the software ?

Does the red light from DEC2MP3 flashes or stay on ?

Styrofoam17
      Participant

Duh! I did not put a quarter in it!! I bought a Volt meter and everything…

Styrofoam17
      Participant

I thought there would be more lights? Now how do i get the sound to work?

I made a half list of songs..its alot of work.

Klaatu
      Keymaster

Before messing with wires from speakers.

Build the SD card with all songs, and then just plug an headphone to the jack plug next to rotating volume switch.

Do you hear something, turn up volume and let me know !

Klaatu
      Keymaster

Forgot to mention : Put a coin, and select a song if you want to hear something hahahahahah

Styrofoam17
      Participant

Im getting the 2 flashes on the DEC2MP3

its not reading my sd card. im using a micro SD in a adapter

Klaatu
      Keymaster

Maybe a formatting problem, is FAT32 or NTFS ?

Try the other.

Styrofoam17
      Participant

I tried that and nothing. I put in a regular SD HD cad and it plays music. But only the random music. it wont take any selections.

Klaatu
      Keymaster

Nothing happens if you put coin and make a selection ?

No song ?

Klaatu
      Keymaster

If it’s easier for you, I have created a Facebook group :  https://www.facebook.com/groups/2283993401928099/

Styrofoam17
      Participant

NVM, the buttons are finicky you have to press them slowly. I was getting really frustrated. i have Elvis Hound Dog as 100 and i couldn’t get it to play. instead it was playing random songs. So i had to turn that off. C0s07.cnf

That way when i failed at the button nothing played. once i figured it out It worked!

Thanks for all your help

Klaatu
      Keymaster

So, now selections work fine ?

Maybe some cleaner contact.

Styrofoam17
      Participant

I edit my post post ^^

Cleaner contact?

Styrofoam17
      Participant

I also Connected the Jack to my sound system and it plays Beautifully. Next I want to connect the speakers on the box and figure out how to hide the transformer.

Klaatu
      Keymaster

Don’t know how is made the keyboard on the Seeburg DEC, but maybe you cloud use some spray “contact cleaner for board”. Send a photo front and especially back of keyboard.

Or just use alcohol and Q-tip if you can access the contact. This maybe would ease button selections.

So now SD card is configured correctly and selected songs are played ?

Styrofoam17
      Participant

You are right about the contacts. After pushing them a few times they are getting better. As for the SD card it is a slow process. I don’t know who owned this box before me but I am trying to keep the same songs as its like a time capsule. So finding and tagging these songs is getting really difficult. out of the 160 songs I’m on song 63.

For the sound. I think I will directly connect them. The volume control is only 2 buttons loud and soft. I am using A/C wire to connect the DEC2MP3 to the board. its (3) 18 gauge wires in 1, but if I buy 7 Conductor Thermostat Wire, also 18-Gauge. I can mount the DEC2MP3 close to my Sound system Receiver and mount the wallbox somewhere else.

But some how have to hide the transformer and I also need to secure the wires from accidently be ripped out of the back of the Wallbox.

Klaatu
        Keymaster

I had though of doing a time capsule, but all songs were unbearable !

It’s up to you to decide to use internal speakers or your sound system receiver.
        I would use the internal speakers, more fun.

If you manage to put the wallbox in freeplay, you could remove the coin mech and see if your transformer can fit in the new room inside.

If you have working lights, try it ! Or use a voltmeter and check what you get. Would be worth to making everything in order.

Styrofoam17
      Participant

Also I’m missing some lights. The select song light doesn’t work and the lights over the carousel. would it be worth it to try to replace these or just leave it as is.

Styrofoam17
      Participant

Some of the song will have to go but not many.

I have no clue how to put it in free play.

I will give the speakers a try, but I’ll connect them directly to the DEC2Mp3

what does the reject button on the Dec2MP3 do?

As for the lights I want to do it but I just got it working and I’m afraid I might mess it up.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Styrofoam17.
      Klaatu
      Keymaster

Reject button is to stop a song playing. Like you would reject a record on a jukebox, to end it earlier.

Can you use a voltmeter ? Remove bulb, and check on each pin what reading you got.

Scudie
      Participant

You can also add an external reject button by using a (make on press)  momentary switch and connecting the two wires from the switch terminals to the relevant terminal block on the board. Doing this you can cancel a selection when the front cover is in place .

I if possible fit the switch under the coin reject button so the switch is actuated by the action of the coin reject mechanism.

Most voltmeter’s have both an AC & DC range  so it’s important to have the voltmeter set correctly ie AC with a 20 volt limit.

Cheers Scudie

Styrofoam17
      Participant

Oh Wow!? another real person! Hi Scudie

Cool i was afraid to press the big red “reject” button.

The Volt Meter I bought has an auto-ranging meter. one less thing i wanted to worry aboot

Are the bulbs easy to buy/find? how much work is it to get to these bulbs? Is it worth it?

Styrofoam17
      Participant
      Scudie
      Participant

Good morning

I have connected to Bluetooth speakers using a Bluetooth transmitter, I fit an extension cable into the jack plug socket on the board.  Then the transmitter can be plugged into the extension with the cover closed. If you have the DEC’s speakers wired to the wb2mp3 board you will get an echo effect because of a slight delay on the Bluetooth.

Regarding bulbs the bulbs I do not have a DEC unit. Sometimes the bulbs have information stamped on the bayonet section ie voltage & wattage ratings, but some have a gec #  which you can sometimes google the code and get voltage wattage info.

My SC1 use’s number 19 bulbs which are capless available from jukebox revival in Holland there website lists lots of bulbs. It’s worth a look.

Cheers Scudie

Scudie
      Participant

Had a thought about bulbs, all of the Seeburg manuals that I have, have a parts list which gives the ratings of all the bulbs. If you don’t have a manual I believe that there is  a pdf  of  a Seeburg dec manual under the support section of the website.

Cheers Scudie

Viewing 49 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.