Powder Coating

Home Forums Your work Powder Coating

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      Scudie
      Participant

Bought a rough incomplete Seeburg Sc1 a few weeks ago. With the help of the manual downloaded from the Support section on here & advice from others I got it up and running whoopee!
      As mentioned before it is missing a few parts & the outer covers had been badly painted a nasty shade of brown so decided to pop into a local powder coating business & ask there advice, yes he said we can do that yes I know exactly what metal it’s made of no problem.
      I had been warned of the cover deforming if subjected to excessive heat,and they assured me it would be OK if they turned the heat down but baked it for longer.
      Fetched it back today not only is it warped it also has pock marks which apparently occur when gases come out of the metal when it’s in the oven.
      So I now have a red warped / distorted cover that has a case of pimples that will no longer fit to the back plate.
      In hindsight it would have been better to have had it stripped and then spray painted and certainly not baked in an oven!
      Cheesed off 😡

starz69
      Participant

Oh crap, that’s not good. not been on here for a while, busy with work and trying to move house…but got an email last night to say Adrian at Juke of Shrewsbury had managed to sort the circuit boards out on the 506. Been down today and collected it, just connected it all back together and it works great. I can’t recommend this guy enough if you ever need things done

Scudie
      Participant

Hello Alan
      Thought you must have been busy, or abducted by aliens. Glad to hear that you have got one up and running. Have you left the other one with him?
      Have managed to straighten the cover sufficiently to enable a trial rebuild the glass all fits now and I can fit it to the back plate so it can’t be too far out!
      As I can’t figure how to post photos on here I have not put any on, I was going to ask Mike Andrews for your email if he still had it, but had not got around to asking him.
      Cheers Paul

Scudie
      Participant

Have made progress with the SC1 & would like to put before & after photos on here but so far have not figured that out.
      Had two pieces of glass cut at local glass merchant for one of the side glasses and the other for the small window adjacent to the coin slot. (Green house glass)
      Masked the side glass out using other as a pattern and sprayed the inside with gold & black paint to achieve the same effect minus the script and logo as the original.
      Rather than fitting the expensive #19 bulbs in the lid I have fitted a coloured led strip the system has various colours and modes.
      The small piece of glass I applied a piece of green stick on vinyl, then cut out the word select in thin cardboard, now this is mounted behind the vinyl the word select illuminates in green.
      It was missing speakers and grills so bought a Bose sound dock speaker grill off a well known auction site cut it to size & fixed in place with epoxy resin adhesive, cut some frames from 2mm aluminium plate to cover the edges of the grills.
      Thinking of getting some graphics made to put on the case to try & hide some of the pock marks.
      If any one can help with the photo’s on here give me a shout
      Cheers Scudie

Scudie
      Participant

Finished the SC1 fitted the wallbox unit inside where the coin mech should be.
      Fitted the external volume switch where the coin aperture is. Fitted a couple of Sony speakers that I had,All works great.
      Started on another now won’t be having it powder coated!
      Cheers Scudie

Scudie
      Participant

Before

Scudie
      Participant

The powder coated one is now long gone, away on its holidays,  it now lives in deepest darkest North Devon. We had friends come up for the week & ended up taking it home with them. So I have done another for our  kitchen,  again the chrome was poor so I had the casings stripped and then sprayed red by a local car body shop. Since then I picked up one with much better chrome which I stripped down & gave a thorough going over (clean everything,  lube /adjust)  & then converted it. This one  is now mostly in the garage but came  outside last summer when the weather was good enough to sit out.

Cheers Scudie

Klaatu
      Keymaster

Nice to see some color change !

On a Seeburg SC1, I always found the sound awful, so I decided to buy from Mouser.com some replacements with them dimensions, and it’s way better, because the old one were shot, many holes in it.

But that’s also the time I discovered the “hum” noise, that we couldn’t hear before with the dead speaker.

Scudie
      Participant

Hi Klaatu

I will take a look at the mouser web site did you have to fabricate your own mounting brackets?

I am currently doing another sprayed one for a friend initially it was going to be lady Penelope Pink but she later changed her mind and now wants it Red like in the picture. Luckily the case is still at the metal polishers.

Would be fantastic if Fabien comes up with a cure for the humming noise before I have this one finished, hopefully by the end of March.  I also have a friend of mine who is an electronics engineer taking a look at a wb2mp3 card to see if he can work out a way of eradicating the hum.

Klaatu
      Keymaster

Sorry, I made a mistake, it was speakers for a Rock-Ola 503, and I found the exact same size.

My SC1 is using a cdadapter, not a wallbox2mp3.

Since 2 weeks I got the modified card, but one terminal block is missing, and the male plug on the card has a bigger pin than usual, so can’t power it ! Waiting answer and solution from Fabien, not news yet.

Scudie
      Participant

Is that the one that uses an iPod or has the music files on a compact flash card? How does the cdadapter compare with the wb2mp3?  If it’s the iPod one do you run the audio through a separate amp before going to the speakers?

I have sent Fabien an email of an attachment PDF that my mate sent to me, it is concerning the humming noise, his thoughts findings and photos of oscilloscope readings, I have  not had a response as yet hopefully he will be in touch with us both soon.

cheers Scudie

Klaatu
      Keymaster

Yes, the SC1 use the iPod. I’ve added an amp and transformer.

Due to ALL THIS SPAM I didn’t saw your reply before…

So maybe best to continue on a Facebook Group I have created  : https://www.facebook.com/groups/2283993401928099/

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Klaatu.
      Scudie
      Participant

Hi Klattu

this spam thing is certainly a pain, I hope that Fabbien and or Gaëlle will eventually be able to block this non relevant content. Rather than removing it as it occurs as they have been doing at present.

I am afraid I do not use Facebook or any of the other social media type services, & think it better for any one who is interested that we should try to carry on with the forum.

Cheers Scudie

Klaatu
      Keymaster

Got a reply from Gaëlle, they both will look at it seriously.

I do also think it’s best to stay here for wallbox2mp3.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I do not have enough time to come to see all the posts, I note with amazement how much the forum takes again life! Thank you for your confidence !.

we will put all our efforts in the coming months to be more present, we are really a very small company that try to develop, everything is far from perfect but we work every day to improve ourselves
      thank you again, that’s really why we work, to satisfy our customers and to see you as active, it’s our best reward

Scudie
      Participant

Hi everyone just a bit of an update on one my earlier posts.

If you have read the posts about the first Seeburg SC1  project you will know that I had it powder coated, Big mistake  I  then went on to say if you are thinking of having the cover sprayed that the best way to remove the chrome is to have it polished off by a metal polishing service, well I was wrong because the metal polisher sends the stuff away to have old chrome removed I think using a reverse of the chroming process.

Yesterday I received a case back that has been stripped of its chrome  so it can now go to the spray shop to be primed and painted.  A friend had seen my red one & after considering various colours  has decided that she would like one of her own & would like it sprayed red.

As you can see in the photo all of the chrome is gone.

Cheers Scudie

Klaatu
      Keymaster

You have an endless pit of Seeburg SC ? How many have you done ?

Sooner
      Participant

Those look great Scudie. What are you using for the colored lights?

Scudie
      Participant

Morning

The one that has just been stripped will be sixth Seeburg Consolette that I have done, three original chrome, one powder coated and two sprayed red. The coloured lights I have done two ways, a strip of coloured led that are controled by a small unit inside & has a remote to operate them. The cable is a bit of a pain when it comes to removing the front cover ( has a four pin connector in it )

Also done a led strip that depending on how you connect the wires can be either red blue green or white, powered these through the original cover contact, replacing the original live for a 5v dc source.

Cheers Scudie

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by Scudie.
      Scudie
      Participant

This is the kit,  there is two strips of led’s and two outputs from the small box  I remove one of the output cables, fit the box where the credit unit used to be & fix the remote sensor to the r/h speaker if situated correctly the sensor picks up the signal from the remote.  One strip is plenty for an SC the strip is self adhesive and can be fitted in the cream coloured plastic plastic lid , you do have to cut a small slot in the plastic, I remove the old bulb holders and associated wiring & give the plastic a good clean . Bought them off a well known auction website think the kits were about £8

Cheers Scudie

Scudie
      Participant

Was wondering on the subject of Seeburg SC’s does anyone know which ones originally had the white buttons ? Which came first white or black?  The majority I see have black buttons with white figures.

Also the manual shows 5 sets of contacts on the latch bar switch but this one definitely only has 4 any one know anything?

Cheers Scudie

Sooner
      Participant

I believe the white button came first based on a comment someone made here:

http://jukeboxaddicts.proboards.com/

You might ask on that forum about the latch bar. There’s a guy named Rich that’s pretty helpful.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by Sooner. Reason: edit
      Scudie
      Participant

Fetched the SC cover back yesterday looks really good with a coat of shiny red paint. Will now have to find the time to reassemble it all.  I think this will end up in the kitchen.Although I think I should finish the 3w1 I  have started first.

Cheers Scudie

Klaatu
      Keymaster

Nice red !

Scudie
      Participant

I think it’s a Ford colour (Radiant Red) if anyone’s interested.

Cheers Scudie

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.