Seeburg DEC Binary sound

Home Forums Wallbox2mp3 installation Seeburg DEC Binary sound

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      JOE
      Participant

Hello, I am working on a Seeburg DEC. I’ve set it up so that it works with coins(just as it would have in it’s day). The DEC circut boards, coin selector, Audio board, push buttons, transmitter, and pricing unit are tested and working. I have connected the Wallbox2mp3(for DEC) to the wallbox version 1.5. The SD card is generated properly with all selections(160) and I have double checked all connections. When the right amount of credits are established, I make the selection and the right song plays. At times more often than not before the song plays, there is a binary sound before the song begins. This is fine, the song selection play properly. When i establish multiple credits and make multiple selections to play one after another, there is a binary sound interupting the song part way through. The sound is brief(1 second or less) and the song continues and finishes. The next song begins(no binary sound at beginning) and plays and it is also interupted with a binary sound and so on until the last selection which plays without interruption, no binary sound. Also half the times the wrong song selection plays. I have repeated this many times. If I make 1 selection it plays properly, If I make multiple selections there is a binary song interupting the songs.

Anybody have an idea about this problem. I have tried to explain it as through as I can. This is not the first wallbox I have restored with your product. I have a Seeburg SC1 that works great with 1 selection or many selections. The binary sound is common on the SC1 before the songS begin and does not interrupt the songs at all single or multiple

Randy
      Participant

Hey Joe, I have a working DEC on the wall but it is an older V1.4 emulator.

Is the “binary sound” you describe like a short, rapid staccato noise?

I have that on some of the other emulators – V1.4 WB2MP3 and Packard/Buckley but never in the middle of a song, always at the beginning.

On my DEC I don’t recall having it so if it happens it is seldom whether on coin single or multiple plays (I just tested both).

Have you tried an SD formatted for random play and does it do the same?

When it has occurred on other emulators I considered that it might be something to do with the way the MP3 file was created (I convert most of mine from Itunes format) but it never bothered me enough to explore the issue.

Sorry I can’t offer a solution, maybe someone else has figured a way to stop or reduce the occurrence.  As bad as you described I would probably ask for a replacement emulator if there is no other solution.

Randy

Scudie
      Participant

Hi Joe

Have just read your post, sorry I can’t offer any advice as I have had no experience with any of the Seeburg DEC wallbox’s.

I would do as Randy has already suggested and configure an sd card for constant random selections, just to see if it stops binary noise you are experiencing.

Cheers Scudie

Randy
      Participant

Well, after a couple hours of shooting pool (playing billiards for our Brit bros) and tossing darts while listening exclusively to the Dec on single, multiple, random play we did not hear any occurrence of the binary/staccato noise.

Again this is a V1.4 emulator.

I would still suspect the manner in which the MP3 files were  consolidated if they were not pure MP3 from the start.

I use Easy DRM and the onboard Itunes app  to convert but I guess I need to try something different to exclude that as a reason for the interference I have on some of the other boxes.

Good luck – Randy

Scudie
      Participant

Hi Randy

Us Brits have pool here generally  played  on a 3ft x 6 ft table and also billiards played on a 6ft x12ft table I think with just 3 balls never played billiards my self, then there is Snooker also played on the larger table.

I seem to remember going into a working men’s club when I was 16 or 17 and there being a pool table that was may be 4×8 or 5×10 was told it was an American size table, but I was young and naive and would have believed most things then, only ever saw that one. What size are pool tables in the states?

Randy
      Participant

Yes Scudie, mine is 4×8 which is most common here, generally in bars and pool halls it is a 7ft coin-op table and I guess tournament tables are 9ft.  I usually play a game called 9 ball (9 balls on the table to start) – it generally is a quicker more forgiving game than 8 ball (all 15 balls at the start).

Also -sent you a note on email.

Randy

JOE
      Participant

Thank you for the inputs and suggestion. As Randy says, the interruption are a staccato type sound. I have not tried to reprogram the SD card to random play as of yet(i prefer no random play, but for the sake of trouble shooting). The mp3 songs are good they play on other device fine. I can not find a pattern to the disruptions. Sometimes a song will be affected and the next time the same song is not, and the timing is not consistant, sometimes the interuptions are a few minutes apart and some times a long as 20 mins or not at all. I have been wondering if the Wallbox2mp3 board can be affected by some interferance or magnetism, because Ihave mounted the boards into the device itself, not external.

Scudie
      Participant

Hi Joe

Personaly I would have thought if it was due to the affects of magnetism or any other interference that was caused by part of the DEC that the staccato type sound would only occur when a selection is being made. Or if due to the AC transformer that powers your DEC that it would be more or less constant.

As far as I am aware your v1.5 does not require any signal from the DEC if the SD is configured for random, just the 5 volt DC so by trying it in random play you would be able to rule out any interference / magnetism from the DEC & the AC transformer as there would be no requirement to have them powered up.

I would think it would be fairly easy to alter the config file on the Sd card, there should be no nead to re do the whole thing.

I think if you were to change C0s07 to C4s07 that should do the trick. It can always be changed back later.

Cheers Scudie

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Scudie.
      Scudie
      Participant

Hi Randy

Yes I read your e mail, I have a problem with e mail at the moment, I can receive them but can’t send at present.

Noticed the problem on Saturday BT are looking into the fault presently will be in touch once it’s been resolved.

Cheers Scudie

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Scudie.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.