Rowe AMI WRA 200

Home Forums Your work Rowe AMI WRA 200

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Scudie
      Participant

• This topic was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Scudie.
      Scudie
      Participant

This was  project I recently completed.

Apart from the front glass being broken & few blown lamps it was complete, but very dirty / sticky inside. The unit itself breaks down into separate components quite simply, at the point the above photo was taken I was about to commence rebuilding the rear section it  had been thoroughly cleaned & resprayed black rather than the original brown.

Scudie
      Participant

Some of the internal components are now refitted in this photo, l had figured that the wb2mp3 would fit where the coin mechanism originally fitted & that I could remove the credit unit freeing up space for a 25 Vac transformer.

Scudie
      Participant

Rather than having to drill holes in the rear section of the case, I was able to fit the wb2mp3 card to the coin mechanism mounting plate, & was able to fix a plate that I had fabricated to the mounting points that are there for credit unit to mount the 25vac transformer to.

Scudie
      Participant

At the point of the previous photo I was able test the unit.

I found that the first 30 or so selections were ok but things went wrong somewhere in the D selections. After trying various things I removed the selection button unit & stripped / tested all the contacts & wiring. I eventually found a faulty wire, replaced the section at fault this rectified the fault. 

Klaatu
      Keymaster

200 selections and internal speakers = good choice !

Scudie
      Participant

Thanks Klaatu

Because of the shape of the front &rear outer cases the unit does not lend itself to standing on a table or counter top. So I fabricated a stand for it.

racevedo
      Participant

Hi Scudie,

The WRA-200 requires 30VAC power, how did your 25VAC installation worked out?

I found a 30V transformer, will that work better of doesn’t it matter?

I’m from Nevada US.

Many thanks!

Ron

Scudie
      Participant

Hi Ron

In answer to your question yes once I had sorted the broken wire the WRA worked fine with the terroidal transformer that I fitted & is still working well.

I am not 100 % sure about this,  & I will have to check,  but I have a feeling that although the transformers are rated as 25VAC when the voltage is measured with my old digital voltmeter I believe they were slightly higher possibly 26 or  27 volts.

Do you have one that you are working on/ converting to MP3?

Any photos?

Cheers Scudie

Scudie
      Participant

Hi I  have just checked the voltage out of  a  transformer which is of the same make and model as the one  fitted to the WRA,

The one I tested is  connected to a Seeburg SC1, that has three LED’s fitted instead of the #19 lamps, with the wallbox in credit position, My Voltmeter shows a fluctuating reading varying from  27.9V  to 28V.

When a selection was made the voltage dropped to 25.5V while the motor was operational returning to the previous reading once the motor stopped.

Cheers Scudie

racevedo
      Participant

Hi Scudie,

My apologies for the late response. It turned out I kept coming back to my posted question thread and completely missed your response here under “Your work” topic..

Attached are the pics of the WRA-200 I recently bought on eBay. Except for bit of cleaning I had not done any work on it yet.

When I said earlier that “I found a 30V transformer”, I meant I found one to buy online to match what’s indicated on the WRA-200 metal nameplate. Actually, I noticed that 25V and 30V transformers are not very common here in the US, while the 24V units are readily available here even from Amazon. However, I’m a bit worried as I said that anything rated lower than 30V may not work on this unit.

I heard somewhere that it is indeed common for AC transformers to register higher voltages at no load and drops down to designed specs once in service which is another reason why I am wary of using less than a 30V transformer. I guess the test you did on your Seeburg SC1 does confirm this.

Interestingly enough at least for me, my eBay seller responded just yesterday that he thinks that a 24V transformer would be OK, although he he used a 28V transformer to test this unit prior to selling it.

My eBay seller also warned me that if I use a 30V transformer, the lamps are going to burn out faster as there is a small transformer already in the unit itself (top right hand corner in the photos) that might bump up as well.

I guess my question remains which transformer voltage rating I can use for the WRA-200? I’ll be happy if a 24V would suffice since it is less expensive and readily available here locally, but I just really want to do anything that will work.

I’m also wondering now how the existing transformer on the WRA-200 will figure in with the new transformer that I will be putting in? Did you have to bypass this existing transformer in any way?

Lastly, I would appreciate it if you can help me further to clarify where and how you precisely wired your wb2mp3 to your WRA unit. Do you have more pics or some descriptions on how you did it?

Many thanks for taking the time to assist me with this Scudie!

Ron

Scudie
      Participant

Hi Ron

I have had a look & unfortunately  so far I have not been able to locate any further photos, I sold the WRA shortly after finishing it, to a very good friend, if it’s really nesseccary I could pop  round and take as many photos as I want.

The small original transformer is for interior lighting of the unit, I think it drops the voltage to 6 or 7 volts. It powers the lamps in the instruction window adjacent to the coin entry & also the four lamps in the top of the front cover that iluminate the title strips.

Do you have a manual for the WRA ?

If not you will find one in the support section on here.

Your  wallbox 2 MP3 emulator should have come with a 5vdc power supply?

Check  that it is as it should be (5V DC )

Other than that the wb2mp3 requires a 25VAC supply and  also a Signal wire  ( which is a series of ground pulses) sent by the WRA.

The speaker connections are straight forward as  there are two positive & two negative connections on (I think) the lower row of the terminal strips in the WRA

If you have read this from the beginning you will be aware that I removed the credit & the slug rejector units to gain space for the wb2mp3 and the 25v AC transformer, are you intending to do the same?

Cheers Paul

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.