SD cards

Home Forums Wallbox2mp3 installation SD cards

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

hello,

I have a question for all of you. What kind of SD cards do you use ?

we have trouble with a customer who can not use SD card compatible with the wallbox2mp3.

he purchased ten 8GB Sandisk, two 4GB Kingston and one Dane-Elec 4GB cards.

All cards configure successfully through the software process but result in the two flashing red light code when placed in the emulator.

just one 10 year old Ultra 1GB card is compatible.

do you have problems with some SD cards?

thank you for your help !

Klaatu
      Keymaster

Carte formaté en FAT32 ou NTFS ?

Scudie
      Participant

Hi Gaëlle

Personally I have had no problems with SD cards, however I remember some one saying that the micro sd cards for phones when used with an adapter were not reliable.

Cheers Scudie

Anonymous
      Inactive

he re-formatted cards in FAT 32

we know that the micro sd cards with an adapter don’t work but we don’t identify troubles with other SD cards.

Sooner
      Participant

I’ve used ScanDisk 2,4, & 8 GB cards and some other off brand from Wal-Mart with no problem. I let the Java software program you provide do the formatting.  I think I remember someone else having a problem when they formatted themselves in FAT 32.

Klaatu
      Keymaster

I never had a problem with SD card, old or new, branded or unbranded.
      Only one but formatting was incorrect, don’t remember if it was FAT32 or NTFS and needed the other.

Anonymous
      Inactive

thank you for your answers !!

bobwiley
      Participant

Fyi, I had a 64gb card and it didn’t work until I downloaded a windows program to format it to FAT32. The windows 7 computer only allowed me to do exFAT which isn’t compatible with wallbox2mp3. So make sure you are formatting the card properly as the wallbox2mp3 to software will read and write on the card and say it’s good to go when you have it in exFAT even though the unit itself can’t read the card.

Scudie
      Participant

Hi Bobwiley

Just have to ask why a 64gb card? I have never used anything bigger than a 8gb & only then because it was free. For most installations I have used 4gb and occasionally 2.

I have Windows 10 on my PC and when I configure a card  I click on the box in the wb2mp3 software that says format and build sd card and have not had any issues with the unit not being able to read the card.

Cheers Scudie

bobwiley
      Participant

Hi scudie,

Same deal, had a free 64gb card. I figured there might be an issue with it being incompatible, but I thought it might be helpful for future users as the smaller cards aren’t as common anymore. I’m going to use a 4 or 8 GB card once I get to the store.

Scudie
      Participant

I sort of guessed you were using what you had to hand. If you are only having singles on the wallbox you get away with a 2gb card, I have done several Seeburg SC1’s with 160 selections including a couple of albums using 2gb cards.

Interested to hear how you get on.

Cheers Scudie

bobwiley
      Participant

Still working on getting my wallbox itself to work properly, but I have noticed songs will occasionally “shudder”/hesitate on the wallbox2mp3. So I will need to try a different, smaller card to make sure it’s not the wallbox2mp3 that’s have some issues and not the larger reformatted card. Happens maybe once every 20 songs or so.

Scudie
      Participant

Hi Bobwiley

I had wondered if you had made any progress with your 3WA, I read that you had limited time to work on it.

Now that I have completed the WQ it will free up some space on my bench, to be able to get a 3WA powered up, I then may be able to be of more help.

I assume that yours still does not run a full cycle of the wiper arm when you have pressed both a number and letter?

Cheers Scudie

stingman
      Participant

Hi Scudie,

I returned to New Hampshire last week after spending 7 months in Florida.

Upon returning, I once again turned to my Rowe Ami WRA-200 wallbox with the wallbox2mp3 conversion.

Last October, I posted my frustration that only a single 1 GB  SD card would function in the wallbox. This time, even that card will not work. When powered up, the blue light comes on and then a few seconds later, I get the two flashing red lights.

Since everything worked with this card in the past, I know the card was properly configured.

There must be some other issue other than the card itself causing the problem.

Obviously, since it worked before, everything is wired correctly.

Can you think of any else to try? I followed the troubleshooting procedure for the two flashing red lights over and over with no joy.

When I originally had this problem, wallbox2mp3 sent me a replacement unit that acts the same as the first.

I really enjoyed this product when it worked and would like to get to the bottom of why it refuses to work now.

stingman
      Participant

Hi,

Since my last post earlier, I have been able to get the blue light to stay on by unplugging power to the board, removing the SD card, reinserting the SD card then restoring power to the board.

Now I have another problem, as soon as sound starts to come out of the speakers, it quits after one second and will not respond to any inputs until I go through the unplugging/plugging procedure again. After multiple attempts I get the the two flashing red lights again and have to start over again.

Is there any information to be gained by watching the two red micro leds on the small circuit board that are visible when the cover is removed?

Still no joy….

Scudie
      Participant

I have not personally experienced such a fault as you describe, I have just read your post”Volume control issues” that you started where you had a problem with the emulator crashing when the volume control was used.

As I can not see any response from you to my subsequent suggestions /questions to that problem, what did you do to rectify that problem.

If the replacement unit that you received behaved the same way as the first one, what did you you do to get the second unit working ? Once you had rectified the fault did your first emulator work correctly also?

Are you using a full size Sd card ie not a micro SD with an adapter?

Since you were able to use the unit before you went away for seven months, but now have problems, what can have changed? Are you able to check your 5 volt DC power supply to make sure you are getting the correct voltage?

It might be worth giving the contacts of the wiper arm and the selector plate a bit of a clean. Does the wiper arm compete a full sweep of the selector plate within the time set by the manufacturer? The manual should give you this information.

When you get the red flashing led’s what does the manual say about the fault.

Sorry  I can’t give you a specific answer to your problem, perhaps some one else will be able to offer further suggestions.

Cheers Scudie

Sooner
      Participant

There are some error codes associated with the number of red led flashes listed in the user manual. Also these units can be damaged if voltage is too high. I had one that came with a defective power adapter that had 10 volt output instead of 5 volts. It permanently damaged my unit to where it came on for a few seconds and then powered itself off.  I assume a voltage spike might cause similar problems.

stingman
      Participant

My adapter measures 5V output.

I get 2 red flashes repeating until I unplug the power to the board, unplug the SD card, reinsert the SD card then restore power to the board. I then get one shot to select music. When I select a letter and number, i.e. L2, a few seconds later, I get a single squawk noise from the speakers even when the volume is set at minimum and then nothing. I am unable to get get another squawk unless I repeat the unplugging and reinserting process.

The only SD card that allows the blue light to stay on without any flashing red codes, is an old Ultra 1GB. All other cards fail to stop the two flashing red lights. I even copied the contents of the 1GB card to Sandisk 4Gb and some 8GB cards and they all result in two red flashes even when I go through the unplugging reinserting routine.

I cleaned the contacts on the wiper board with no effect.

I don’t know whether I have problems with the WB2MP3 board, the SD cards or the WRA-200 wallbox itself.

I have the Rowe AMI WRA-200 manual for reference.

Klaatu
      Keymaster

To me trouble is your SD cards !

If an exchange of WB2MP3 didn’t solve trouble, it ain’t the problem.

Do you use a PC or Mac ?
      You need to complete Format in FAT32.

And use the software to recreate your list, don’t copy it from non working card.

SD cards are prone to malfunction when unplugged savagely. Maybe you unplugged it while listening to music ? or a short in your wiring. It’s like a HD drive, don’t turn it off when it’s reading.

Scudie
      Participant

Hi Stingman

How  did you get your second emulator to work if it initially behaved the same as the first one?

Ok so your voltage is ok, and the pulse wiper arm and and disc are clean.

The two flashes of the red led’s are (according to the manual) indicating that the  wallbox2mp3 fails to initialize the SD card.

When  you configure an SD card did you do so with the software? Following the prompts on the software from the beginning picking the wallbox that’s required to building your title strips.

I guess it’s unlikely but not impossible that you have a faulty SD card,but surely they can’t all be faulty ?

It is also unlikely though again not impossible  that you have also received two faulty wb2mp3 emulators, & as you said the second one behaved the same as the first, & you say you managed to get it working last year.

If you configure a Sd card with your choice of 200 tracks and choose the play random music with the minimum time period (not sure what the minimum is, there may be a continuously option )  if the emulator is connected to a pair of speakers, & powered with 5volt DC you should get a song played after the set time, without having to make any selections on the Wallbox infact the emulator would not have to be connected to the emulator at all. This way you can rule out the WRA 200.

Cheers Scudie

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.